PYT Fairfield’s Artist-in-Residency Program supports young and emerging artists from Western Sydney to create a piece of original work for a live performance. Residencies generally take the form of a week-long dedicated intensive block where the artist has use of PYT Fairfield’s theatre and culminates in a showing, presentation or discussion at the end of the work in development.
As well as space, PYT Fairfield provides producing, mentoring and financial support to artists-in-residence. Financial support is usually in the form of a week-long wage to the artist-in-residence and a small amount of additional funds that can be used to pay for things like a venue technician, photo documentation, or other collaborators eg, lighting designer. The total financial commitment from PYT is $5,000. Artists-in-residence are encouraged to work with PYT Fairfield producers to allocate their budget in a way that best serves the project’s needs.
The final outcome of a residency is usually to help the artist clarify things like the message, theme, format, genre, length, scope, and potential avenues for production and touring. At the end of a residency, the artist is expected to have a stronger idea of what they need to take the work to the next level.
1. Artist must live in Western Sydney
2. Groups can apply; however, the lead artist must live in Western Sydney
3. Artist must be between 18-28 years of age at the time of the application deadline or able to demonstrate why they are an emerging artist.
4. Residency must be undertaken for a single week (7 days) anywhere between the 30th of October until the 12th of November, 2023.
4. A total financial budget of $5,000 will be supplied. A PYT Producer will work with the successful applicant on the budget to ensure appropriate rates are applied.
Applications have now closed